What to do in a crisis we call... Quarantine!
|Photo by: Zoya Dhanji|
I’ve received so many texts from family and friends asking me
“do you have any tips for how I should get through this tough
time of isolation???”
Usually, if you know me, I have some solid advice (or so I’d like to think) and my usual reply has been
“Honestly, I’m in the same boat as you fam.”
I realized just then that our society today is so privileged and we take a lot of the little things in our daily lives for granted, like going to school, going to that favorite local coffee shop or to a friends house. There are ways to foster growth during these difficult and somewhat unprecedented times (let’s find some good in the bad, my peeps)
By that, I mean that many people are taking the time right now to wallow away and feel alone or are curled up in a ball in the corner of their rooms, sad about the situation we all know as the infamous quarantine. I REFUSE.
Say it with me!!! I REFUSE!!!
What’s the point?? Let’s take advantage of this pause in time.
As a result, I decided to do this… start a blog.
I’m not trying to compare myself to you, don’t worry. I’m just saying, try to make some use of your time.
Trust me, I have had my fair share of feeling alone for the first couple of weeks, but then I pushed myself to move past it.
I decided to start this blog, not only to offer some advice and tips, but to also push myself out of my comfort zone and share my thoughts with the world. With you guys. I hope you find it to your liking. This has provided me with something to fill up my time, and to relish in the
Well… since you made it this far I guess you really want some tips and tricks to keep yourself busy during this quarantine, huh? Then listen up folks.
FIRST OF ALL I want you to take the mentality of “this sucks I don’t want to do anything with my life, I just want to see my friends and head back to school and be back in my element”, because guess what honey, it’s not happening soon so start to become ‘one’ with the isolation. Trust me, things can really be SO MUCH WORSE.
SECOND, if you have EVER had a list of things you’ve always wanted to do, like learn how to play guitar, then pick up a guitar and start to learn. You have the time NOW. and if you do not have this hypothetical list, I challenge you to make one right now. Make a list of everything and anything, all hobbies or creative outlets, and start to approach them one by one. Work towards achieving each of your goals. Trust me, you do not want to be that person who sits on a couch all day letting hours and hours go by.
Yes YOU, stop doing that.
Don’t know what to add to your list? I can help
Here are some things I would add to mine…
- Make a list of books you’ve been wanting to read. Ewww reading I know, but I’ve really been able to appreciate the grace of how different perspectives make a whole story.
- Make a list of movies you have been dying to watch, or that have been pending on your Netflix recommendations!!
- Go to your closet, it’s time for some spring cleaning! No no no, I’m not saying you need to throw anything out or give anything away (unless you want to)
- Try to recreate some old stuff! The fashion world is your oyster, queen.
- Make a list of hobbies you've wanted to start
- Playing an instrument (YouTube exists, you know?)
- Art = Painting, Drawing, sculpting, etc.
- Count all the change in your wallet, or couch, if you really want to keep busy.
- Exercise more, you lazy bum
- DIY candles (for your meditation)
- Beat the next level of that video game you've been playing
- Work on a 1,000 piece puzzle
- Board Games! (Great for quality time with the family, or friends)
- Learn how to cook, I know us college students really need that
- Try out some new recipes
- Pick up the phone and reach out to a friend you haven't spoken to in a while
- Tell that guy or girl you like him or her. Yeah the one that just popped into your head, that one. What's there to lose?
- If that person is mature enough, they’ll think you were courageous enough for saying anything in the first place. If they don't, they weren’t worth it to begin with. Thank you, NEXT.
- Sit down with your parent(s)/guardian and get to know them more
- I promise, even though they get on to you at times, they love you. If you expect them to understand you, make the effort to get to know them, their past, their flaws, and maybe then you can expect that reciprocation, and maybe then you’ll understand why they act the way they do. Step into someone else’s shoes, per se.
- Start writing a book, your own story.
- Number 18 leads me to this... begin writing in a diary, sorry if that sounds too feminine for you, but yes a diary or journal whatever you want to call it.
- For one, it can be your substitute therapist.
- I'll expand more on journaling in my next blog!
- And as always, don't forget to hydrate! (water)
I realized many individuals are reacting to this quarantine in a negative way because they feed off of others for their own energy.
I will admit... ME. ME. ME. I am one of those people, I will not be hypocritical.
But I will say, I have begun to beat it. Learn to love being with yourself.
I’m using this time to spend time with my family, take advantage of it when you can. Trust me, my family is driving me nuts too, but I love them because of it. We don’t realize how fast life passes us by, and I feel like this quarantine is a blessing in disguise. To spend time with the ones who love you most.
Fight the thought of “I’m bored”. Go make yourself useful, kid.
Find the creativity within yourself as well as in the world, even during such unprecedented times. Maybe you’ll find your true talent or passion during this time, but you won’t know till you try.
So get up from your bed, couch, chair, whatever you’re using to hibernate, and start crackin’. Make your list RIGHT NOW.
No, not later, not tomorrow, not the day after and not next week. Do it now, make yourself proud. Motivate yourself. Push yourself to do more than you expect from yourself.
Use your time wisely, my friend. Today, tomorrow and the next day. What passes us by will not come back. Enjoy it, learn something new.
Lastly, my prayers go out to those of you who have loved ones affected by the virus., and I would like to thank all of the Doctors and Nurses out there at the frontlines!!! We all appreciate you every single day. You guys are our HEROS.
Some inspo for my photography friends:
“The only true voyage would be not to travel through a hundred different lands with the same pair of eyes, but to see the same land through a hundred different pairs of eyes.” -Marcel Proust
Even though we’re all subjected to the space around us, our homes at the moment, try to find new perspectives, little crevices in your home. See your home through a hundred different pairs of eyes, and see where the creativity takes you.
Until next time, Z
Congratulations on yet another milestone... wish you all the best Zoya, I knew writing was in your future, as you have a very eclectic way of expressing yourself with depth.Wish you happy writing and self expression during self isolation time :)ReplyDelete
May this path lead you to your next chapter in this book we call life...
Love you sweetheart!!!
Thank you so much!!! cannot wait to express myself more and share it all with you soon :)Delete
I love this AND youReplyDelete
id like to see some photography picsReplyDelete
I will definitely post more! Thank you for the feedback!Delete
I love how you're using your time wisely and inspiring me to do the sameReplyDelete
Great content looking to more 😀ReplyDelete
Raw and hit home. Needed to hear a lot of this. Keep going Z!ReplyDelete
I agree, would like to see some picsReplyDelete
I will post more for you guys soon! For now, you can check out my photography page on instagram and I have the link provided under the 'contact me' tab to the top left of this page!Delete
Thank you for sharing. Full of motivation and inspiration. Looking forward to the next blog including journaling ideas! Thank you again!ReplyDelete
Thank you! journaling ideas coming to you guys soon!Delete
Wow, what a great blog post! I am in absolute awe of the points you are making about how the little things in life are often unappreciated until they are gone. This spoke to me, and I 100% agree. Thank you for the list of things, and the whole post in general. This is extremely inspiring, relatable, and should honestly be made a New York Times Best Seller :) Keep up the amazing work!!!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much, it means a lot!Delete
Zoya very well writtenReplyDelete
Keep up with this work
Thank you, Masi!Delete
Congratulations Zoya, Very well said and excellent tips, to make this lockdown a memorable one. All the best Beta. Stay blessed, Keep on writting such blogs. You are the best.ReplyDelete
talk about girly thingsReplyDelete
"Just girly things"ReplyDelete
what's your favorite color nail polish?ReplyDelete
I'm kind of boring with my choice of nail polish colors, I usually stick with white, light pink or black. What's yours?Delete